Thread: Job Offer
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Job Offer

[ QUOTE ]
This should be an easy easy decision. Take the job, make 100K+ and play cards for an extra 50K.

You can't honestly be thinking of passing up a sure thing. C'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Its a sure thing, true..... I am sure I will not be as happy as I am now, but the current environment is not guaranteed to be the same in the future </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see, be at work at 8:00 vs. get up when you want to.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> This one is huge! I used to wake up at 530 and be in the office by 7 after an hour bus commute, not sure exactly what the hours would be with this, but Id assume very close as it involves trading commodity futures which start trading at 8 est. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you could get this offer again in the future if you asked then that is something to throw into the equation too.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I doubt it, I could get something similar, but as this type of position goes, this is one of the better opportunities </font>

[ QUOTE ]
1) You don't say what the job is.. you must have some sort of an idea. Is it going to enrich your life in any way or just provide a steady income?

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Along the lines of stock broker assistant </font>

[ QUOTE ]
2) You clearly enjoy the freedom that online poker gives you.. could you really go back to working for 'the man'

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I certainly can, I also certainly wont like it as much as being my own boss </font>

[ QUOTE ]
3) Or, do you miss working with other people. I am making the assumption that making a living from online poker is a fairly solitary existence. I couldn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> No biggie, I like real people, but people in the corporate world tend to be rather fake </font>

[ QUOTE ]
4) Yes, the bottom will fall out of online poker in the next couple of years, as soon as all the potential players have been cleaned out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Speculation, but def. a possibility

[ QUOTE ]
But I also LOVE the freedom entailed with poker and it makes my life about 1000% better

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Word! </font>

[ QUOTE ]
1) Can you work 1 or 2 dasy a week from home? Try to get that in there.

3) How about flexible hours, say ... 7 am to 2. You could be home in time to moonlight 8 hours online.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Flex anything isnt really an option </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I think you really needs to tell us what the job is.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> See Above </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the new job is, but the salary potential of those places is huge after a couple years at a real position. I also seem to recall that your old job had something to do with the trading floor, which has reasonable hours. If the new one is along those lines (I'm assuming that its a step up, otherwise you wouldn't be asking), then I'd guess the hours are bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Yes, if there wasnt the potential for a lot of money I would surely not even have a dilema. Also, while the hours are not too bad, I have to factor in about 3 hours a day commuting, and it is also an early start as we would not only be trading the equity markets </font>
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you have much to lose by taking the job if you're still pretty young.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Any time you give up being your own boss, and the ability to work whenever you want, to go work for the man you are giving up a lot, the question is rather.... What wwill I be gaining? </font>