View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Offensive Screen Names

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that people who get offended by these sort of things haven't thought much about why they choose to live life, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're too busy being offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like (and may have been) a wiseass quip but it's quite literally true. These people don't think. OK, so somebody's name is AdolfHitler. It could be his real name. Or he could be a Nazi. But seeing the words shouldn't offend you. If they did, you'd have to avoid encyclopedias, as well as any well-written Holocaust articles. "BinLaden_was_right". Maybe in 20 years, most people will think that, as the USA destroys all their homes. Or (more likely) he will remain vilified in all hearts, except Mr. BinLaden_was_right who's still enjoying poker and cleaning up at 2-7 holdem. Or (even more likely) BinLaden_was_right is a person reading this thread who decided he wanted to offend people that don't think. It really is freedom of expression, and let him have whatever name he wants.

I certainly don't care if somebody says "[censored] it, let's gamble", unlike the WSOP folks. I do care (somewhat) if somebody says "[censored] you you [censored]" and I consider "F you you A-hole" to be equivalent -- it's the meaning, not the characters. Characters mean nothing in and of themselves.