View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Poker pro w/ most business savvy

Off the top of my head, Dan Harrington (though you get into the old argument of whether someone who makes the bulk of their money outside poker is a pro, as I believe though am not positive Dan does).

I think the two you mention, and many others that will leap to the top of conversation, are good at marketing themselves and getting endorsements. Though I certainly understand the importance of marketing in business, I tend to rate management and financial skills higher (and the quant side of marketing as opposed to the sales/PR side). Negreanu may well have more on the ball here than I am aware of, since I don't really follow him very much.

Given that, I would not rate Hellmuth anywhere near the top. I don't think he really understands a lot of sophisticated business concepts. Also, it utterly amazes me how someone can be so risk averse in tournaments (to the point of making horrible "business" decisions) yet so risk embracing with regard to staking people.

Edit - just read your reply where you say you are really looking for people who market themselves well, so my post is pretty off your topic, but I ain't deleting it!