View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: I\'m thinking of quitting my job

[ QUOTE ]
I know this topic has been broached before but I wanted to present my situation and get some advice.

I started online over a year ago and started down about 8K. Then I had a period of breaking even or being slightly positive.

Recently, I started getting much better, read more (about 10 books) and in the past 4 months, I'm up about 14K. My winrate is now consistently about $40-$50/hour online. I'm pretty confident I can make at least $60K or more if I could do this fulltime.

I have a law degree, spent 100K on it but am bored with law. Though I only make in the low 40s, I have a 9-5 schedule but am getting really tired of it. I get frustrated b/c my job cuts into my poker time!!! I also don't have the time to do all the poker reading I wish I had. Keep in mind the 14K I've made in the past 4 months is based on part-time playing. I really want to quit now but of course what will friends/family think or should I even care? I'm 30 and don't have real responsibilities now so the timing should be good. I've talked to some people and they said to at least get a better track record (since my jump has only happenned in the last 4 months). Any ideas, advice/pitfalls?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 14k bankroll is not nearly enough to do this. If you do this you will be sorry.

Edit: Switch to a different kind of law. What do you do now, transactional? Try trial work, do some court appointed stuff. Build up a bigger bankroll before you attempt this. And you need more than a few months of playing part time to know if you are really a winning player. (Or at least, to know how much you are really winning). No offense.