View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Bad play??? I really regret this decision.

I see a lot of people who are pointing to the turn as a mistake, but I disagree. He was ahead at the turn, that guy made a bad call with improper pot odds and lucked out and hit a set on the river. Betting 1k into a pot of 2.4k is not giving the guy with the JJ correct odds to call. You want him to call there, not fold his hand. He only has 2 outs! Why would you want to scare away JJ when you had two pair of Aces and Sevens?

The mistake was the flop. I would have raised the flop. That guy made a mini-bet into the pot where I had TPTK, I want to know what kind of hand I am against. What purpose did calling serve? What did you learn about his hand from calling? You definitely didn't give yourself a chance to win right there when you had TPTK by calling. If you thought he had an overpair, then you would need another 7 or another Ace to win, which gives you 5 outs or about 10% to hit it on the turn. The pot was about 1700, so calling another 400 there was obviously a bad play if you think you don't have the best hand. If you think you do have the best hand (which is very likely in the case) then you should raise. I would have raised to make it about 1600 or maybe 2000. If he puts me all-in, it would be read dependant on whether or not I call. If I had no read, I would probably fold because he has shown he has some sort of hand that is not afraid of that board. Yes it cost me 2k in chips, but I made the right plays. I bet when I thought I was ahead and folded when I was pretty certain I was way behind.

Calling on the flop is passive play and passive play is bad play.

Let's say he had KJ instead of JJ. He bet on the flop and you called, but if you had re-raised then he probably would have folded. Let's say you did call and a king comes off on the turn and he bets. What's your play then? Does he have a King? What if he instead has QJ and is just betting again? Now you no longer have the TPTK. He bet on the flop which didn't have a king, he bet on the turn which now has a king, what cards does he have? You have no idea and it's because you didn't take action when you are very likely ahead.