View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Turbos vs. regular SNGs (variance)

[ QUOTE ]
Turbos will have less variance only because there are 9 players instead of 10. In SNGs, your variance will always be near the same, regardless of your ROI because it depends on your place percentages and 13%/13%/13%/61% yeilds a variance similar to the one that 10%/10%/10%/70% gives.

Somebody around here learn some math for christsakes.

The square root of the sigma-squared is your standard deviation. That's why your standard deviation only increases as the square root of the number of games you play, while your profit increases linearly (ideally).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your standard deviation (per game) doesn't 'decrease' at all--in fact, it converges quite rapidly mostly (if not purely) as a property of the tourney structure.

I think what you mean is that as you play more and more games, your ideal aggregate profit increases linearly whereas the difference between your actual and ideal aggregate profit (for any given confidence) increases logarithmically.

I guess your wording is technically true if we're viewing blocks of SNGs as 'supergames'--your standard deviation per supergame does increase logarithmically as you increase the number of games per supergame.

Anyway, I think your OP is rude.