View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Cause or effect? VPIP sliding

sup dude,

I was about 18/11 at 2/4 and maybe 18.5-19/11 or so at 3/6 IIRC. I actually loosened up more than the numbers would show as I moved from 2/4 to 3/6, where the 1/3 blind structure would call for tighter play. I'm about 24.5/18 at 5/10 6max and I'm definitely not the same player I was BS (Before Shorthanded) - not sure what that translates to in a full ring game.

it's kind of natural to tighten up when you enter a new environment, whether it be the tighter 1/2, a 6max game for the first time, a new blind structure, more aggressive game, whatever. Feeney even lists it as one of the tips to making a move up the limits in Inside The Poker Mind - you will have less of an edge postflop due to better players, so starting off with a bigger edge preflop will help as you adjust.

that will happen postflop as well, you might start off a new limit folding too much postflop, and slowly your WtSd will rise as you see spots to make good calldowns, especially given the increased aggression. so don't worry if you start off a new limit and your VP$IP is below 18, or your WtSD is below 30...just get used to the new bet sizes and swings, then expand your game as you get used to it.