View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 07:59 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Have them RSVP For Seats

I host two events monthly (tournament style, 16 players on two tables max) and my events are on an RSVP basis.

I've had 16 players signed up AND 6 players on the wait list and wound up with only 12 people playing. Found out my problem was holding the games on Friday nights (work was too much of a last-minute problem for a lot of people) so I moved both games to Saturdays (1-5pm and 6-10pm) and it seems to be working out.

Granted I've been doing this since 2002, and back when I was right with ya. 3 players, maybe 4-6 if I was lucky. But over time as my home game improved and word got out (and I advertised on homepokergames.com) it became quite popular and took off. Now I regularly have 10-16 players for each event.

I recommend you try the RSVP thing, and keep track of those who cancel on you, or who don't show at all. If they persist in being problematic, then relegate them to wait-list only status (even if there's open-seating) and let them prove their loyalty to your game by showing up and hoping there is a seat available for them. Then they can earn their way back into your event.

It's a LOT of work putting on home games, I've been ready to just give it all up from frustration before. Oftentimes all the hard work you do isn't appreciated. But hang in there and it'll be a good time. I also take 5% of the prize pool of each event, dump it into a separate interest-bearing bank account and at the end of the year the top five players (based on a leader board point system) play for this extra money and a trophy. Incentive to keep coming back and be competitive.

www.triplethreatpoker.com is my home game site. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]