Thread: Limit SNGs
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Limit SNGs

I am normally a limit ring-game player and not a SNG player, however I do play the occasional NL SNG.

I sat down tonight and was playing a few SNGs and I acidentally sat in a limit SNG. Being a limit player, you figure I'd be pretty good at these, but I got to thinking and started to wonder whether or not these are even beatable in the long run.

First off, limit is a game with a lower winrate and higher standard deviation. Thus, a winning player will generally still have a flatter bell curve that is more closely centered in the middle (in other words, a players finish in each of the 10 spots will generally be closer to 10%).

Furthermore, in any tournament situation, you will often find yourself short-stacked on a regular basis. In a NL situation, you are at least able to double up your chips with some sort of advantage or at least make it a mistake for the blinds to call you. In limit however, you don't have this edge.

My intuition would tell me that these things would make limit SNGs [i]very[/] hard to beat, if it's even possible. Has anybody here ever tried this or have any research on this?