View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: \"Unions are Evil\"

[ QUOTE ]
Sure it is. While I work on finding the Wagner Act cites and NLRB decisions, tell us how many promises you or your unions made to win elections that you failed to keep. (Hint: if you say none, we'll know you're lying.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned from the start not to promise anything in terms of wages and benefits. I can and have promised that someone who signs a card or votes for the union will receive the things that are guaranteed in a collective agreement if one is reached. That includes at least a grievance procedure of some sort.

I would never promise something that is not a guarantee. First agreement negotiations are a bit tougher than once the CA has been around for a while so you never know what will happen during negotiations. I promise people at least they will have a kick at the can. Unlike now. Anyway, after all the anti-union tactics have been exhausted and the company sits down to negotiate in good faith I can't fathom a situation where an employee would be worse off than before. I've said before, it's a vote. If I come back with a contract that doesn't at least cover your dues (1 or 2 hours a month, tax deductible) plus 1 or 2% (or much more if that's the kicker), then vote against it. Simple.

The assertion that a union can do more during a unionizing campaign than the company is daft. I can't call a meeting on company time at the workplace and present my case, unlike management. I can't fire employees as an example knowing full well the impotence of the NLRB in getting them back to work. The campaign can be shut down that way. I am a salesman. I can hand out flyers and hold meetings (non-mandatory). I don't hold the intimidating power that the big boss possesses. If, even then, I manage to convince enough people to sign cards, showing clear support for unionizing, they still have to vote multiple times before a union is certified. The time for the anti-union company SWAT team to terrorize the employees is far too long. Even principle organizers within the plant can not talk about unionizing except on their breaks. God forbid that I even come close to company property.

I'd love to promise the moon. Some do it but it's just bad salemanship.

In solidarity, Hamish.