View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Playing the opponents hand and not yours.

[ QUOTE ]

Playing the opponents hand. I am starting to do this and I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres an exercise I really liked. Play a small buyin tourney at a home game, or a small NL cash game. Except instead of paying attention to your cards, every pot you play focus on your opponent's hand, and not your own. Your not trying to make hands, win by semibluffing. Youre just playing the strength of your opponents hand. (You should be doing this all the time anyway, but this time, your doing it exclusively, instead of factoring in your cards).

Try to get through as much of the tourney/cash game without showing down a hand, as much of the time you will not have a hand to show down. Pick certain situations and represent certain hands, but only represent them against people who will understand what your representing. I did this and got amazing results. Certain players will not fool around with an A on board if they dont have at least AJ in their hand. Certain players are weak when the board hits a flush card. Dont go crazy, but seek out situations and opponents where you can win sizable pot without ever looking at your cards.
EX. Tight opponent raises in MP. Most people would respect this raise, figuring him for some decent PP or AK, AQ, AJ, KQ. Well, follow him in, in position, with any two. Then hell naturally lead out at the flop, but see how he does it, look if hes comfortable with his bet, or if its an "information" bet. Then adjust your play accordingly. Maybe take it away on the flop, maybe call and let him check on the turn. My experience is people let you know when they have big hands. Just try it for one tourney.