View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 12:21 PM

Default No. Furthermore...

Your friend's advice is solid--the lower the limits, the more mindless chasing. Everyone assures me (I've posted a similarly-themed rant here) that you really should learn the reading skills (and other multi-way play tools) developed at the low levels, and that without them the move to, say, 3/6 (or higher) is no picnic. Lots of 3/6 tables are just like this, too. When you're better able to sense when your big pairs are beaten, and when you're getting in (cheaply) with hands that play better in these kinds of games (i.e., suited connectors, particularly) and learning how to win with them, you'll be well-equipped to beat games at higher levels. I'm in the very same situation you describe, playing 2/4 at the Taj every weekend. Sometimes I win, sometimes I get beaten by the army of calling stations, but everyone here at 2+2 assures me that, with time and practice, the (highly necessary) skills come. And they have been, for me. If you're playing at a REALLY low limits (.25/.50), this battle may continue forever, because it's hard to imagine EVER getting ANYONE to EVER fold ANY hand it only costs .50 to call. Take $100 to a 2/4 table and take your lumps like I'm doing. I'm making progress and feel convinced that you will too (see my posts in the beginners' forum). DON'T GIVE UP and don't stop learning!