View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

You want tangible benefits listed, but of course you know that the tangible benefit is that a degree is money in the bank in the employment world. But you aren't ever going to work a 9-5er so you cut that right out. That leaves the intangibles.

But I think you ought to consider for a moment, that at age (what 21 or so) you've got sixty years of living in which your life can take improbable and unforseen turns, twist, bumps and reversals. A college degree is a huge hedge against the unexepected, and two semesters...well c'mon that's not the worlds most difficult task.

As far as intangibles. There may come a time when you are running with a bunch of college educated people, either through work, because you start your own business or some other context entirely. Believe you me, its not fun in those situations to be the guy who couldn't hack college.

Ever plan on having kids? What are you gonna say when your offspring comes to you with some really ridiculous plan (not something cool like playing poker for a living) that involves them dropping out of college and throwing away their future (not to mention the money you've paid for their first few years) and you object, what's you're come back when they say, "Ah, c'mon dad...you dropped out of college to play poker!!!"

And if you can't find at least a few courses that stimulate and engage you, then either you aren't trying very hard or you a very sad person.

And among the other cool things about college (including open keg parties six nights a week in my case), it is also one of the most stimulating, interesting, engaging environments you are likely to be in ever again in your life. Which is a little sad statement about what society post college is like, but nevertheless true.

Or as one of my friends would say, "Don't be a schmuck, quit your whinning and finish what you started."

--Zetack