Thread: Hows my line?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Hows my line?

[ QUOTE ]
you don't have enough outs to check/call if you're behind. so essentially you're hoping this gets checked through, or the button bluff bets with a worse hand. then... what? you're hoping he does so again on the river? you're planning on betting a safe river? you're planning on betting regardless?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm ahead often enough that I can make the call when he bets the turn. The combination of outs when behind and calling when ahead make calling the turn bet profitable I hope.

If I bet the turn 1 of 3 things happens

1) he raises me w/the best hand and I toss it. I dont like this option as I give up on my 4 outter and getting bluffraised here would suck big time

2) He folds a hand I have crushed - this isn't great for me b/c he's so far behind that I don't mind giving the free card and I don't give him a chance to bluff at the pot.

3) He calls my bet - Now I'm still lost as to where I am b/c he could be calling w/a worse hand or calling w/a better hand.

If I check the turn here are my options

1) My opponents checks behind w/an inferior hand that likely has 4 outs to a split pot and 0-2 for a win. Not a big deal given the size of the pot

2) My oppoennt bets a hand where I'm ahead - this is great for me b/c I'm gaining an extra bet against hands that would have folded had I bet the turn. Hands like Ax or low PPs come to mind and a hand like 9x or Jx might even take a stab at the pot here or but fold to my turn bet

3) My oppoenent bets when I'm behind - I get to see the river cheaply

By checking the turn I allow my opponent to bluff the turn and I get a cheap shot at my 4 outter if I need it. I think the combination of these makes checking the turn the correct play. thoughts?

Once the river hits, my opponent bluffing is no longer a concern for me b/c he will likely give up any bluff and check behind on any hand I'm ahead of. He will however value bet a strait or possibly trips. This is why I bet the river. Once he raises me, I can't possibly be ahead so I toss it.