View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Anyone else do this?

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of figured that someone would call me on this. Notice I said online low limit. My point was that I don't think you should expect this play to work as often as you think it will. I know some of the books say it will and I won't exactly disagree but most of the books that say this reference it to live play where you can put a face on the person doing it. I think that with how frequently players move in and out of the game and how little attention some of them pay I think it loses some advantage online. Also part of my point was that I don't think you should make a general rule about checking your overcards because you think that your opponents will give you a free card because of your check raises. There's a lot of other factors (which have been discussed) that need to be taken into account when playing overcards. I'm not saying that table image doesn't come into play but I think that you're overvaluing it. Even in SSH it says " For the most part, your opponents do not pay attention to your playing tendencies. Even most of those who are vaguely aware usually do not bother to adjust their play based on their observations."

BTW, I do check raise often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're mixing some posts together. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Having the flop check through actually happens *more* frequently than I think it will causing me to miss some check-raises. I don't expect many flops to check through, I simply think it happens more than your original post allowed for, particularly if you are a check-raiser. My check raises are primarily to cut odds to middle position players with a side benefit of some image considerations that I'm very sure do take effect, but are of fairly limited value by themselves. I certainly wouldn't recommend check-raising for image purposes as your primary consideration.

But I will defend the online low limit players' observational prowess a little. They may not realize I haven't played for the last 30 consecutive hands and then came in for a raise in EP, but they do remember a check-raise performed against them and it does affect their play. Almost no one is completely oblivious.