Thread: turn spot
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: turn spot

Hi BK,

I don't think that the villain's turn raise necessarily means he has something better than AK. This is based on my assumption that your cap on the flop does not mean that you must have 2-pair or a draw. I assume that you would be willing to cap the flop and lead the turn with any decent ace, as you want to prevent your opponent from constantly 3-betting the flop and checking behind the turn to showdown cheap(er). This play of course covers those times that you cap on a draw trying to make him muck a hand like QQ.

Therefore, I'd expect a good postflop player in a game this big to be willing to raise the turn w/ AK. In light of that, 3-betting your big made hand + draw is the way to go. You prevent him from showing down cheap, raise for value, and have tons of outs those few times that he actually has you beaten. Also of importance, you send a message that you are going to punish him severely any time he tries to get tricky with you. This will hopefully make him think twice about making moves in the future, whether he has a hand here or not.

There are other considerations as well, in particular the game theory point that you have to sometimes 3-bet with a less-than-3-bet-quality hand in order to keep your observant opponents from saving bets against you. This is as good a spot as any to make one of those more marginal 3-bets.

-Eric