View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Default RESULTS - Am I still missing something???

I actually twisted things round a little to see what people's views would be. All the data is correct, but I was the semi-aggressive all-in-er, and I wanted to get a view as to what others would call in that spot, as I was so surprised when I was actually called. My actual hand was 44. The player in the small blind who actually called is Alex1, the 3rd highest ranking tourney player on PokerStars this year.
First, I should explain the all-in...as I am not a big fan of moving in so much in a fairly small pot if I can help it, as it can be a "bet of death" when called, i.e. you are a massive underdog. However Alex1 is very aggressive and I knew he would reraise with a very wide range of hands, making me release the small pocket pair. I felt that the allin would force him to drop nearly all his weaker hands.

When he thought for a few seconds, then called, I assumed he had a monster. In actual fact he had called with A8 suited (needless to say he won.)

I simply couldnt get over the call. My play is borderline questionable but I think that the overcall is simply terrible - he can only be a favourite over a tiny % of hands that I would make this move with, i.e. A baby or KQ. I couldn't ever think of a circumstance, in B&M play, where I would have made a similar call. And yet this is one of the "best" players on Stars.

Am I still missing something?
-----------------------------------