View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Fast or slow - flopped boat

[ QUOTE ]
would anyone who doesn't hold a K or a Q be more likely to call anything for a BB on the turn that they wouldn't call a SB for on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Catt,

Edit: I didn't read the other responses that came between your question and this until after I wrote this.

Occassionally, I've seen the whole table or almost the whole table fold to a bet on the turn after a paired flop was checked all the way through. Most players on the turn are still afraid of someone slowplaying trips from the flop and from what I've seen, rightfully so, because most players who make trips on the flop don't bet them until the turn anyway. The level of fear is usually less though, and the turn card usually improves some players' hands so they will be more inclined to call a bet.

Also, loose players and calling stations (obviously) are more likely to call than tight players, so you can take into account the texture of the table your at. And I think if tight players see loose players helping to build up the pot, it gives them a little more incentive to stay in also. It kind of sucks when almost everyone at the table is tight and you make a bet with a monster hand and everyone folds.

There can be a lot of danger in slowplaying though. If I make a boat on the flop and the rank which I have three of, is the lower of the two ranks, I bet because someone can make the higher boat and I want to make them pay for taking that shot. I had that happen a couple of times to me when I slowplayed a boat, and it sucks. (They may have stayed in the hand even if I bet the flop though, I have to look at that some more. )

Similarly, if I flop trips and the board is only two suited, I will usually bet and if I lose almost all the callers, so be it; but I won't let flush draws and backdoor flush draws hang around for free. The less people seeing the flop, the less chance for a flush draw to be out there though; so if I have only a couple of opponents *and* the pot is small, I might take a chance checking a two suited flop.

With the strength of a hand like the OP had, I don't think you have to worry much about getting beat, and you can use whatever strategy you think will work to get the most money into the pot.

- TomBk

Warning/Disclaimer: beginner writing