View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Fast or slow - flopped boat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I have 88/99/TT and the flop is KKQ and the flop is checked - on the turn (undercard) I'm going to bet and maybe even raise even though I'm drawing dead. With PF strength and a bet on the flop I'm out of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you bet your 88/99/TT into this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a PF raise by a person with a low VP$IP (Hero). What range of hands can I put him on? Not many that I'm ahead of.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, if that's the case, why would you bet and raise the turn? You yourself would be fine checking through the flop to "keep customers" on the turn if you had Hero's hand, but you would also intrepret an opponent's check as weakness that justifies going nuts on the turn via betting and raising?

Look at it from another direction. When you bet into this flop, you probably scare the crap out of everyone else. You hold a strong hand, and are behind only AA, a K (how likely?) or a Q. When you get raised on the flop, you can release or call, depending on your read. Whatever happens, you're at least collecting better information at the cost of a SB rather than a BB on the turn when you have only one more card to see, and you don't run the risk of getting rolled bysomeone who would slowplay this flop in the way you suggest. You almost certainly thin the field with a flop bet or get feedback that let's you fold more confidently. If the turn card comes a blank and you bet again, are the gutshots (AJ) sticking around?

I may be effing this play up considerably, but if I'm holding 88/99/TT I'm almost certainly betting this flop (and will certainly bet if I play after pf-raiser's check).