View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Job That Couples Well w/ Online Poker On The Side?

I fix computers for people.

Easy money if you know what you're doing, choose your hours, do only the easiest jobs if you like. You have to put in some time to learn the stuff, but I believe anyone could learn this if they wanted. It really isn't hard.

I can charge at least £30/hour, which is what, $50? No idea what the going rate for computer fixing is in the US, but £30 is cheap in the UK. Business customers will pay much more - broken computers = lost business.

Hardware faults, problems with Windows, clean up virus / adware / spyware, copy "My Documents" and saved email from a crashing computer, etc. - plenty things are easy to fix, but are totally baffling to someone who just uses the machines.

The work is quite satisfying most of the time - people can be very happy when you save all thier important business data from what they thought was a knackered computer.

These days jobs are more common than ever - PCs and cheap broadband are everywhere, and Windows XP gets overrun by malware so easily.

Probably not your thing, but maybe an option worth thinking about. Most colleges run short PC repair classes.

dave.