View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Does the value of position change throughout the tournament?

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to pose a question as to how people here perceive position at different stages of the tournament?

I think it's sometimes adventageous to be first to act in the 'first to the pot wins' situations.....so when an aggressive player reraises CO or button raise.....is there a point to calling with good hands(but not monsters) if you know he'll go all in on just about any reasonable flop ...and if u don't hit you'll probably need to fold...so would it make more sense to push?

What about when the action is reduced to pushing? First aggressive player to act often wins the pot...so in these instances does positional advantage reverse?

I hope i am posing my question clearly....

[/ QUOTE ]

positional consideration is important throughout. I believe it may be less important early on (for different reasons than you state). Early on there are a lot of donkeys and a lot of inexperienced players in the game that have no idea about how important position is. In some of these instances, you will see donks raising from UTG with A6o, simply because they have an A. When there are this many donkeys still in the game, the "gap concept" kind of goes out the window. I'm not suggesting that you should play marginal hands from a LP just because the UTG might be a donkey. What I am saying, is that this needs to be a consideration in factoring in your decisions.

Seriously, how many times have you seen UTG open for a 4 BB raise with TT or 99 and have MP who has not idea about the gap concept come over the top allin because he has a pocket pair of 5's.