View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Is pro poker right for me? [LONG]

[ QUOTE ]
i say get ur masters and play cards

if ur good enough at cards u should not have to work to support urself and should leave u plenty of time to play

take the summer off and begin classes in the fall, take the minimum load to remain full time

or maybe get an internship for the summer, and play during off time

at this particular time in ur life u have the advantage of not having to put all ur eggs in 1 basket....

u can do both, probably for another year or two while u get ur masters

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if I play poker for a while, I still plan to get my masters degree, and I will probably play poker while I do that also. I could intern at the same place I have for the past two summers if I wanted to. The pay was pretty decent for a summer job. I think it was around $21/hr or something. I didn't have much off time to play this past summer. I had an hour long drive each way to work, so I was basically gone 11 hours/day. I spent time in the evenings visiting with my family, which basically left weekends. I spent some time playing on the weekends, but that's about it, and I don't imagine it would be much different this summer. I'm really not too interested in working there again, but I can if I need to. They've already invited me back for the next summer.

I considered starting grad school next fall. I don't even know if that's possible now since I haven't really prepared to do that. I haven't taken the GRE yet and I haven't applied anywhere. I don't even know where I want to go yet, or what exactly I want to study. That's part of what I want some time to consider. As I mentioned in the OP, I do have a couple of possibilities for jobs after graduation, but I don't know if it's really the direction I want to go. I think this really just boils down to me being unsure of what I want to do with my life, so I'm considering playing poker for a while until I can figure it out.

Thanks for your suggestions.