View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Absolute Morals, Sins of Commission vs Omission etc.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
On Sunday through Friday, I push button three and feel very good about myself. On Saturday, I decide that since I've been such a nice boy that I will make up for my losses by pressing button two. On Sunday, I immediately wake up and repent of my sin, pushing button three. Then I go to church and pray for the strength to do God's will in the following week, which all goes swimmingly until Saturday rolls around and I realize I'm broke again...

At the end of one year, I will...
Celebrate the fact that I've saved 312 lives.
Mourn the fact that I've killed 52 people.
Take consolation in the fact that none of these deaths were painful.
Donate $520 to my favorite relief organization.
Push button three before hanging myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've highlighted your reply in bold where I feel you have misread David's original message below: (although to be fair it is vague)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

Starting tomorrow the government of all wealthy countries asks their more well off citizens to endure the following scenario once a day

[/ QUOTE ]

One has to assume this is restricted to the Bougeois and not the Proletariat, of which your reply most likely pertains.

If you are asking Rich people to consciously make the decision to kill an individual on a daily basis you'll get alot of "passing the buck", possibly ad infinitum - despite the fact that some of these Bougeois have business interests in parts of Africa and/or other 3rd world countries where their actions largely contribute to the state of poverty and thus in some cases cause many deaths, either directly or indirectly - the fact is "see no evil, hear no evil" helps them sleep well on their Egyptian Cotton pillows at night, and even if it doesn't there's medication to fix that.

As long as there is an option to "pass the buck" this scenario is flawed, and even if that option was removed and one was forced to make a decision, capitalism always wins in the end, if the more well off aren't voluntarily spending $30 per month to save little Zu-Zubu now, what makes you think they'll sacrifice $450-465 per month to save the same child?