View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: How do you guys handle the swings emotionally?

i spend about half my playing time at limits which mean i have a 1500BB bankroll - that makes a 200BB downswing feel boring and whilst it may seem excessive to have that big of a bankroll it is still a tiny amount given the money that i will make with it over a short time

every average/bad poker player i talk to and some of the good ones whine about thier recent poor run of fortune - drives me crazy - it insults the game that i play/teach/write about for a living to equate it with luck - poker isnt about luck at all yet that is how even the guys who play it a lot perceive it - its as if they too have been sucked into the big lie which is the way poker is marketed

the swings are just a part of the challenge the game presents - from my perspective they are the best part of the game because the rest of the skills required arent hard to aquire - this doesnt mean i am immune to emotional upset when i run filthy but given i rarely tell anyone how much i have won/lost or what my latest bad beat was probably means i deal with it better than most

you need to be tough and tough doesnt have to be a natural born instinct - its just knowing what to do when the game is tough - like many things i think suck it up and move on sums up the best approach to poor fortune

stripsqueez - chickenhawk