View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: David Pham Chops

[ QUOTE ]
If you're willing to take advantage of a rule as contrary to poker as the "f-bomb" in order to win, you're essentially being greedy

[/ QUOTE ]
I won't argue with that. But greed is one of the reasons that I entered the poker tournament in the first place, or play poker at all.

[ QUOTE ]
and tacitly admitting you don't have the edge to beat your opponent organically.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on, this doesn't make sense.

Let's say that I am a somewhat better player than David Pham, and for the sake of argument we are even in chips when this comes up. So maybe I am a 55-45 favorite to win the tournament if I take the penalty with him. However, if I don't take the penalty with him, maybe because of the chips I gain I jump to a 60-40, or 70-30, or whatever favorite. It would still be +moneyEV for me to make this play, although the gain in spiritual growth that I might experience might very well more than make up for that money I am missing out on. But I doubt it.

Anyway, my point is that it is silly to say that I am "admitting that I don't have an edge in the first place."

[ QUOTE ]
Most resepctable poker players would consider it a scumbag tactic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well right now we have something of a sample size issue, but I would be interested to hear from some other respected poker players on this issue.