View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 05:33 AM

Default 300BB downswings are not normal. PERIOD!

Ray Zee wrote in a recent thread about big downswings:

[ QUOTE ]
people can speculate about the big downswings all they want. but the times i have seen it in real life it always was from a player that was playing a losing game during that period.
just because you win at a certain rate for a certain amount of time doesnt mean you dont play poorly for a time during that period. also even if you are not playing poorly based on your perception of what is the right way of playing for those conditions, sometimes you are very wrong as the conditions of the game and the players way of addressing your play may be different than you think..

[/ QUOTE ]
I just want to 2nd this. I think it is riciculous that 300BB downswings has come to be an accepted part of the game in this forum. I submit that +99.9% of the big downswings reported here are caused by tilt and bad play in general. Just a year ago a 100BB downswing was considered a sure sign of bad play here and posters advised people to examine there game. Now they are just told that it is to be expected...

I think the speed of online games are to blame (reinforced by multitabling). Tilt runs for a certain period of time wether you play 1000 hands or 10,0000 hands in that period and this causes us to see more of these downswings. People in turn recover faster online because of the amount of hands. So because we see more of these downswings with fast recoveries it is now being shrugged of as 'statistically normal' - WRONG. It only teaches us that the number one thing to work on for a multitabling online player is tilt!

So please stop the macho 'big swings are something you have to deal with' attitude and let us deal with the problem instead of dismissing it!