View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 06:58 PM

Default 15/30 - I was questioned about my play (long)

While I was waiting for a seat in a 30/60 holdem game, I was watching a very interesting 15/30 super loose, super agressive game. After watching for about 30 minutes, and noticing that of the 9 players in the game, only one appeared to be a solid player, I placed my name on the list. I was seated into the game 10 minutes later.

After playing for 35 minutes, the following hand occurred. I was in the small blind, the solid player (SP) was UTG+1, and a very agressive maniac (VAM) was the button.

UTG and SP limped. I had watched SP play, and he had a tendency to limp in this position with a range of hands from AQ-AK, and small pairs less than 8's. The next player folded, a MP player raised, and it was folded to the VAM. He 3-bet. I had absolutely no respect for VAM's 3-bet after having watched him play for an hour or so. In addition, his 3-bet left him with only 2.5 big bets left.

I looked at my hand and found the A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . Ordinarily, I would toss this hand away. Given the makeup of the game, and disrespecting one of the raises, I decided to call. The big blind called, the two limpers called, and then MP 4-bet, and VAM capped it. I was not very happy, because even if we ignored VAM, I began to wonder what UTG and UTG+1 had limped with, not to mention what MP had originally raised, and 4-bet with. I figured my hand to be a large underdog. At this point, I had to call two additional bets, with the knowledge that the maniac had only 1 large bet left. I, and everyone else, called the additional 2 bets. There is now 15 big bets in the pot.

Question #1: Would you have played the hand pre-flop?

The flop was K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . I checked, the big blind checked, UTG bet, SP raised, MP raised, VAM went all in, and the action was to me. I figured that at this point, with the money in the pot, no one was going anywhere, and there was no point at any attempt for a free card. In addition, I felt that I had only 9 outs to possibly win this hand. I, and everyone else, called. There are now 24 big bets in the pot.

Question #2: Would you have raised the flop?

The turn was the 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . The board now consisted of K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . I checked, the big blind checked, UTG bet, SP called, MP raised, I 3-bet, the big blind folded (!!!), UTG 4-bet, SP called three more cold, and MP capped the betting. I now sat back to think. Given the way SP had played, I figured for him to keep playing this hand, he had to have a set. I also realized that UTG may have slowed played a big hand pre-flop (KK?). I knew that I had the current nuts, but if the board paired, I would be in trouble. Everyone called the remaining bets. The side pot has 20 big bets in addition to the main pot of 24 big bets.

Question #3: Would you have 3-bet at this point? Do you wait to make sure the river doesn't pair the board? I wasn't sure what MP may have had, but guessed something like KQ or QJ of hearts. I do not believe he would have pushed AA (without the A of hearts).

The river was the 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . The board now consisted of
K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . I bet, and every player called (!!!).

I obviously won the pot, and no one else showed their hands. Later on, the SP spoke with me about the hand and told me that he had a set of 5's.

Question #4: Would you have bet out?

Question #5: What could the rest of the players had, that allowed them to play the way they did through the entire hand, and then have everyone call at the river? I figure that even loose players can't make a call when they are essentially over calling for the 3rd or 4th time?! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The reason that I asked the above questions is because, due to the nature of this table, and the size of the pot, there were many regulars watching the game and drooling. Several very good players (all of whom I have played many hours with at 30/60) spoke with me about the hand after it was all over. They did not like (1) my call pre-flop, (2) my raise on the turn, and (3) they did not like that I bet out the river (they felt that if I checked the river, it would have been bet and raised for me).

I appreciate any and all feedback and comments. Thank you.