View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: So I\'m thinking of moving to Vegas... help? (some kinda-tax stuff)

Before I respond it's important to note that my responses come from me also looking into moving to Vegas. I don't actually live there.

Correct, there is no state income tax in Vegas. I've also heard that either there is no sales tax, or it's very low compared to other states.

As for taxes, when I moved from CA to MA I was required to pay CA state income taxes based on the amount of time I was there. So for example if I was there for half a year. I'd have to pay taxes on half of my earned income based on CA's tax structure. And half my income based on MA's tax structure. I'd assume a move to Vegas would be similar. Any CPA would be easily able to help you with this.

I don't really have much information about schooling. You might consider that some colleges are more expensive for non-residents. You might be required to live in the area for a couple of years before you get the cheaper rate.

Rent is fairly cheap compared to SoCal and I'm assuming NorCal as well. Like any place it depends on your needs. There are low end areas and there are nicer areas. I've personally been browsing in the NorthWest area of Vegas which is nice and pretty new. You can rent a full blown house there for around 1150. Lot's of apartments in the area too which run around 800-900 for a 2 bedroom. These are all around 20 minutes from the strip.

Can't really tell you too much about the weather that you probably don't already know.

Good luck.