View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Circumcise my baby boy?

[ QUOTE ]

He didn't even bother to read the information before he downplayed it based solely on the name of the site on which some of it was hosted.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the phrase "International Coalition of Genital Integrity" anywhere on any of the three pages to which I linked anyway, but even if it were there, so what?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's odd these two quotes are in the same post.

If you look at the first link you provided:
Backup Linky

and read the very FIRST sentence.

Cape Town - Organisations including the International Coalition of Genital Integrity on Friday cautioned against reports indicating that mass circumcisions could help prevent the spread of HIV.

In that same article there is another organization sourced:

National Organisation of Restoring Men

I could go on and on....

[ QUOTE ]
If the information they present is backed up with credible sources, who cares what they call themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reasonable argument in theory or if you are in an ivory tower. However, in practice.... no. I will admit there are some exceptions but they are very rare.

To be honest even quoting mainstream news sources will often get you into trouble. The bbc does a decent job when it comes to science (due to it's natural tendency to side with academic research) but it will side with the hardcore liberal given the chance and they can be pretty bad when they do. The very popular www.junkscience.com and www.techcentralstation.com
go the other direction and are absolutely horrible when talking about scientific research IMO. Now if I consider those sources less than reliable, just imagine what I think of the links you provided. I will admit the last link you showed was pretty good, however there are plenty of holes I really don't want to go into. In short, I'm not completely sold on her methodology. Also, I am not familiar with that journal you linked to. I stick to mainly science, cell, nature and their sub journals. There are plenty of others that are good though. If an article links to one of those journals in it's bibliography, you are normally golden.

If you want a real source of information on this topic, here is a good link. It's simple, easy to read, and has a magical thing called bibliography which is linked to reputable peer reviewed journals.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte.../320/7249/1592

It will tell you HOW circumcisions stop HIV.

Ok, I've now wasted too much time on OOT simply making this post.