Thread: Ethics Question
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Ethics Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. What do you think of the player who clearly saw the error in progress and did not say anything about it?

If he isn't in the pot speaking up would be a violation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The players at the table have a responsibility to ensure the game is played correctly. This includes: making sure the bets are correct, making sure the correct hand wins at showdown (i.e. reading the board), preventing cheating/collusion, etc. If the dealer screws up the bet size, another player can and should correct him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I have a responsibility to ensure a smooth game? That sort of seems like the houses job.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the house's job. It's also your job to help.

[ QUOTE ]
As to the bet size, if I'm in the pot you're damm straight I'll see the bet sizes are correct, otherwise I'm interfering in someone elses pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet later on in this very same post you say:

[ QUOTE ]
Now I have (and will) stop a pot from going to the wrong player,

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...it's not your hand, it's not your pot, why are you interfering now?

[ QUOTE ]

What you're telling me is that I have to spend all of the enegry necessary to know how everyone is playing, pick my bet sizes (I'm NL, not PL), read hands, maintain my focus, beat the game! AND PLAY SHERIFF!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said you have to play sheriff. However, if you notice something wrong (which you should, as you're focusing on the game the entire time), it is your obligation to speak up.

[ QUOTE ]
Now I have (and will) stop a pot from going to the wrong player, but other than that there is a rule in every set of poker rules I've seen:

ONE PLAYER TO A HAND.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I ever suggest helping either player here? Did I ever suggest anything other than correcting a dealer's mathematical error? No.

[ QUOTE ]

You, however, seem to think it is a silly rule and therefore may ignore it at will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reading comprehension sucks. I never once referred to this rule, or any situation where this rule applies.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, other than the potential disruption this may cause, I supose its OK by me. The more enegry you spend not playing poker, the better the game will be for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet money that my games would be better than yours, for the simple fact that I'd make sure the game was consistent and fair.