View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Liberal Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pair the Board will try to refute you, EVEN THOUGH HE AGREES WITH YOU. He's got some kind of prejudice against people who assert their position too arrogantly. (Sort of like what he ascribes to the Catholic Church regarding Galileo.) The formal name for his condition is Andy Foxitis.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry pair....not at all trying to be arrogant or dismissive at all. ive never tried to spin anything or make any crazy assertions. i just had to giggle a little after reading one of yur posts..."i was impressed with pope john II's statement after studying the galileo affair." now im not trying to insult the popes statement or anything like that. i just think its funny that the pope who just recently died gave that statement and that, depending on the specific day he issued it there could have actually been men in space. i just found it somewhat amusing that anyone would truly be impressed by it. i mean do you think this actualy cleared anything up for anybody. i know nasa didnt care.

[/ QUOTE ]

chrisnice,

I don't accept Sklansky's characterization of me. What I tend to object to - and I've told this to David - is what I percieve to be "in the box" type thinking when there is a lot going on outside the box. Such thinking can be arrogant or dismissive but not necessarily. It is the unbalanced, narrow, and unfair nature of such thinking I object to. I am not even arguing against the ideas from in the box so much as saying look, there's more to the picture. For your ideas to be robust they need to reflect the other side of the story. How many times have you heard one person's description of a conflict she was in with somebody else and wonder how on earth the other person could have been such a villian? Until you talk to the other person and get her side of the story.

Yes, I was impressed with John Paul II's side of the story and I was especially impressed with his statements about how the Catholic Church is not in conflict with science. A refreshing stance considering that of American Fundamentalists these days.

The topic of this thread does not imply a need to defend the Catholic Church for its past mistakes, although if I'm to get into a discussion of its mistakes I would like to hear its side of the story. The topic of this thread is to present something that seems to be out of the box thinking for a lot people. That is that there is a thing called Liberal Christianity. It is not a radical fringe but a vital part of many Mainline Protestant denominations, and elements of it can even be found in possibly the most Mainline of all Christian bodies, the Roman Catholic Church.

I guess I will say what I want to say regardless of what Sklansky thinks about it, and I hope you will too.

Sincere regards,

PairTheBoard