View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Mark and Greg- last question

If you are in a situation where you are a 2-to-1 favorite, don't you agree that it is a plus EV move and you should play?

Certainly on a normal basis, wasn't sure that was true with the added cost of being knocked out with no recourse, on what amounts to mainly a steal bluff.

I wanted to point out that this is a classic situation where intuitively it feels wrong to make this play, but when you figure out the hand combinations you will sometimes be surprized of what the correct move can be.

Yes, this is what I was distracted from back when I thought you were playing blind. In this case, the cards you hold are not part of the calculations.

Hypothetically, lets say that someone had raised before me and now it is the next hand. Let's say I now have to get past the button, SB, and BB. Well, I already know that if I go all in the button and SB will have an 8% chance each of calling, plus I have to add what the new big blind will do. Let's say that the new BB will play 20% of his hands, so now you have to add the BB, SB, and button which brings the likelyhood of everyone folding 64%. Not, as good.
Note that, waiting another hand could drastically reduce my chances.

Yes, my question was around comparing the success rate and EV of moving blind/on any cards vs. potentially a better hand to win with and increased success of winning IF CALLED, which I overrated.

Thanks for all of the follow up