View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Getting into Battles Too Early On? Interesting Hand & Analysis

In analyzing this hand, I was trying to think… how would a world-class player have played this hand? Granted they are infinitely better post-flop than I am, but do these players get into confrontations like this one this early in a tournament? Seems unlikely (and unprofitable) to me. Analysis an all streets encouraged!

Set-up
500K Super Satellite.
$10 buy-in.
200 entrants
Top 8 get seats in 500K tournament.
BB seems tight, but it is early. No other reads.
Blinds 10/20

Relevant Stacks
HERO in SB (1015)
BB (840)
UTG+1 (1440)
CO (905)
Button (475)

Pre-Flop
HERO is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in SB.

All players limp, HERO completes, BB checks.

Flop (100): 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="red">This seems like one of those times where Harrington says people play stronger than they actually are. My position is the worst it can be. I have TPTK with an inside straight draw and backdoor nut flush draw, but there is a better straight draw on board and a flush draw. Not to mention some people will routinely limp with 22-TT at this point in the tournament. What would your play be here? </font>

Hero bets 70, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, CO raises to 140, Button folds,

<font color="red">At this point I can put CO on either a) 44 b) a set c) over pair d) A2, A3, A5 d) A4 for the straight e) 2 diamonds. Lots of hands I still beat here and I can always get away if the turn comes scary. Plus, I assume BB is coming along for the ride. Would anyone fold to this min-raise? </font>

Hero calls 70, BB calls 70.

Turn (520): [2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> Seems like a perfect card for me as I now beat many of his holdings. Still losing to a set, A4, and 44, but my situation definitely improved. I’ll lead out here, as I don’t want to give a free card to diamond draw.</font>

Hero bets 250, BB moves all-in for 680, CO folds,

<font color="red">Suddenly, the BB woke up here and obviously does not want to see another card come for cheap. This is the critical part of the hand, I think. Now, this is a limped/checked BB hand I am up against, so there are many ways outside of 44 that she can be holding a 4 here for the straight. I convince myself that there are enough A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hands she can be holding that she would also make this play with. Plus, I have to factor in my odds of hitting my 4 outs to fill up. I am getting 1450/430, better than 3:1, to make the call, so…</font>

Hero calls 430.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]