View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Bad time for a slow play?

(As others have written, including Sklansky & Malmuth), the necessary conditions to slowplay are BOTH:
1) A very good hand – likely to hold up as a winner
2) Likelyhood of another player making a 2nd best hand on future streets

These must also be weighed against the likelihood that the person who might be drawing might pay you off right now anyway. (Obviously there are some people that will pay you off with just a few outs, so there’s never a need to slowplay them.)

I’m not a big fan of the slow-play, but I think it’s reasonable to think that these conditions might have been met here considering the pre-flop raise & the board, so I’m not too critical of the slow-play. The thing you have to realize is that slow-playing – while sometimes very lucrative – generally increases your variance. Variance increases are generally not something I look for in tournaments.

Getting back to the specifics, I can’t come up with many hands that I would think would be dangerous here if you gave them a free card. The fact that this person played JT obviously opens up the possibilities a little more, so the list might include:
JT, QhJh, AhQh, AhJh, AhTh. Ah xh is possible depending on the player.

The list of hands that could improve but still be beat would include:
KQ, QQ, JJ, TT, any pocket pair (that they would have played for a raise)

The list of hands that would probably pay you off NOW includes:
KK, AK, 66, A6 (maybe)

After looking over this list, I think your slowplay wasn’t a bad play – but you’ve got to be willing to accept the variance IMHO.