View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: MB/CPU Temp Monitoring - Motherboard Monitor v5.3.7 v Alternatives

[ QUOTE ]
Nah, the software that flashes the BIOS checksums all the data and it would not be corrupted by a floppy disk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the "checksum error" (sometimes with "overclocking failed") in about six out of twenty or so BIOS flashes. Maybe those times the floppy did in fact screw up.

[ QUOTE ]
And datamining 10 party tables or playing music and browsing isn't going to do anything for your CPU usage. Definetly run Prime95 tortue test to get the try numbers for you CPU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll report back in a day or so.

[ QUOTE ]
However, since all you are doing is browsing the internet and playing poker, I highly doubt that the CPU is the problem. As it was said earlier, often a bad power supply can cause problems exactly like this. Either made by a crappy company or one that is underpowered for your system.

I would download MBM, get your temps and also check the voltages on your 3.3, 5 and 12v rails under load (prime95 torture test).

[/ QUOTE ]

Already downloaded MBM but haven't fully set it up other than the basic measurements on the task bar and briefly looking at the dashboard. Also have run floppy based Memtest86 v3.2 (mentioned elsewhere) and the memory has cheked out in multiple extended tests.

Just launced the MBM dashboard. Later Hope I can find an option to write voltages or other info to a file while I'm away. Otherwise it would be hard to track consistant voltages.

[ QUOTE ]
Bad RAM will often give you BSODs before the computer restarts, but a bad power supply will just restart the computer randomly. Overheating CPU will also restart the computer randomly, but you will easily be able to test that with a Prime95 run.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a "BSOD"?

From earlier post in thread: "The PSU is a Fortron 530W P530XF (a relatively high end unit) so I'm hoping it's OK."

It seems to get good reviews (although it's only $80 on NewEgg. This doesn't mean it can't be bad, but after paying an extra $60 bucks or so (over the standard PSU) I'm hoping that's not it.

Darn, gotta run - I'll try to check these things out tonight. Meanwhile machine is running well. Maybe I kicked it in the right place. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick