View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: What\'s your move here and why?

Really useful thread.

I went over the top with a minimum reraise and he folded.

This was OK. I took down a pot, made a few chips, it was early doors but I think better players play it differently so I posted.

I think the key phrase here is 'well behind or well ahead'. If you're behind, you lose the chips you reraise and potentially more. If you are ahead, he almost certainly folds at this stage of a tournie. He may call with a medium pair but then you're the one worried by the call and he had me outchipped 2 to 1.
So the raise doesn't appear to really help unless you're just happy to take the pot down and move on.
A call is also going to scare him but he may have another stab at the pot with a medium pair. He'll check an ace on the turn I feel. Naturally, the danger of the free card is that he trips his pair or finds the ace. However, if he finds the ace, he's still going to be scared about your call so I think you'll be able to afford to call any bets he makes. If he turns his pair into a boat on the turn or river, the betting will make that clear.
However, early in a low buy in tournie against the chip leader at the table, I'm not too unhappy with the raise and just taking the pot down then and there. Better players than me build bigger stacks by calling, I suspect.