View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Legal Advice Accident/Ticket

[ QUOTE ]
a judge will not dismiss the violation just b/c the cop wrote green instead of black

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Mercury Cougar and got a speeding ticket about four years ago. The cop wrote "Toyota Celica" on the ticket. I fought it, went to court, and the cop gave his side of the story. Then I pulled out my registration card and bill of sale and said that he must've timed some other car then pulled me over. The judge then asked the cop if I was ever out of his sight and he said no. He then told the cop to consider offering me a lesser charge. He did, something like failing to obey posted signage or something like that. Something with just the base fine and no points, instead of the base + $$$ and the escalating points against my driving record. The judge then told me he couldn't advise me what to do.

I took the hint and took the deal. I got something like a $60 fine refund and no points, key to not affecting my insurance. After the judge entered the ruling, he asked me if I wanted to know how he would've ruled had I rejected the deal. Of course I was curious so I said yes. He told me that the word of an officer in good standing was sufficient evidence for him to believe without reasonable doubt that I was the driver that the officer clocked, and that he would've found me guilty of the speeding charge.