View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Joe Namath vs Jim Kelly

[ QUOTE ]
Who would you rank as the better quarterback?

Joe Namath won a championship but the remainder of his career seems inconsistent.

Jim Kelly did not win a championship but was at the helm of some very good teams.

Also, is it fair to compare QB's of different eras with rule differences being considerable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw every game Namath ever played. He had a great arm and put up occasional great numbers but he was not a great QB. The guy was a statue with his bad knees which resulted in a ridiculous number of holding penalties by his offensive lineman. He was also incredibly stubborn in thinking that his great arm could thread the ball through defenders and the biting Shea Stadium wind. I believe Namath's Jets went 5 full seasons without beating a winning team. He only made the playoffs twice, playing 3 playoff games. That being said , as great as the Jets Super Bowl 3 victory was , the greatest game I ever saw was the AFL championship game with the Jets beating Oakland 27-23. Jets led all the way until Namath threw a late interception resulting in go ahead Oakland touchdown. Namath gets the ball back, 10 yds to Sauer, 57 to Maynard, 13 and a TD to Maynard.Hello Super Bowl.