Thread: O8 hand
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: O8 hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to disagree with you Buzz. I think the hand is absolutely fine for shorthanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yads - As I wrote, I'd want to see the flop for a single bet with this hand in a five handed game.

In truth, I do not seek out five handed games, and usually not enough opponents want to continue play when the game drops to five handed, so that the game either gains players or soon breaks up when it gets down to five handed. Thus five handed is not very familiar ground for me - nor is it likely, except for some brief tournament last table or two situations, to become familiar ground.

I have this hand pegged as "speculative." When I play "speculative" hands, I like as many opponents as possible seeing the flop with me and for only one bet. But perhaps that assessment is incorrect and I should be delighted to play TQQKd for two bets in a five handed game.

I'd like to see some simulation results for TQQKd (against four opponents with random hands). Simulation results to support your point of view would make me change my mind. I'll run some sims for the hand against four opponents if get to a computer with a simulator this week. (May not happen as tentative plans stand).

[ QUOTE ]
He's got double suitedness, decent straight draws and a pair of queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the double suitedness and agree the cards are working reasonably well together. If he catches a straight on the flop, he'll have a redraw for a full house, and possibly for a flush. Or he might only have a straight draw after the flop. Or he might have a flush or flush draw. But he still has to catch enough of the flop to continue.

[ QUOTE ]
Unless the flop is all low he will either have the best hand or a good draw on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's necessarily true.
For example, neither J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] nor K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are good flops.

In point of fact, most flops will not be good for TQQKd.

Buzz