Thread: O8 hand
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: O8 hand

awm - You don't have a very good starting hand for a short handed game. Still, I'd want to see the flop for a single bet with your cards. But when MP raises, I think I might fold. You want more opponents before the flop so that there will be enough money in the pot to justify your investment when you do hit a favorable flop.

Plus, note that you're going to be out of position on the next three betting rounds. When you have opponents who will get out of your way, acting first may be somewhat of an advantage. However, that hardly seems the case here.

You flop top two pair. It would not be unreasonable for you to bet this flop in some games, hoping to win it right there. (This does not seem like one of those games). Instead you check-raise after button raises. Wow! Flopped top two pair is simply not all that great here and you're a long shot (~11 to 1 against) to improve on the turn. Do you think you are playing against idiots? (It's a possibility, I suppose). Do you think your check-raise will make them all cower? (Another possibility, I suppose).

I don't think you have favorable odds for a call here, let alone a check-raise. And note that no one who was involved here was daunted by your check-raise. You simply threw away some of your money for nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
Hero checks, BB bets, MP calls, Button raises, Hero folds, BB calls, MP calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

What cards does Button hold to raise here? Why is Button raising here? Whatever the reason, the ploy is successful since it induces you to fold. Could the expectation of your folding be why Button raises? If so, are you getting out-played here?

Buzz