View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 04:40 AM

Default Hilger\'s ITH starting hand charts too tight?

I'm reading Matthew Hilger's book 'Internet Texas Hold'em', and his starting hand charts for early position suggest that one caller is required to call with 88, 77, KJs and QJs. Am I missing something or is this unecessarily tight? I assume the reason is that each of these hands plays better in a multiway pot, and so having an extra caller means that one is less likely to be isolated (and possibly dominated) by a MP or LP raiser.

This is sensible, but doesn't this assume a tight game where most of the players know what they're doing? I thought this book was for new players, and this is an unlikely scenario in most low limit games. He also doesn't recommend playing KQo in early position or KJ in middle position. I know that both of these are marginal at best, but against typical weak players in low limit games are they not worth playing?

In the book I notice that Hilger says that he considers a game with less than 3 players to be 'tight' and a game with more than 3 to be 'loose', so I would assume that he plays mainly in tight, high stakes games. Are the charts more applicable to these games?

Obviously these hands are all marginal in early position, but I'd be interested to hear what people think. Also, has anyone used the charts extensively? If so, what percentage of hands do you play?