View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on dropping out of school...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- When you're 18-21 yrs old - you have ZERO understanding of the relative value of money in the real world. What seems like at lot of money at 18 yrs old will seem like pennies in 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
You say this to a bunch of people who usually post at least a $2-$15 blind and don't bat an eye when they lose it? Poker players, if ANYTHING, undervalue money instead of overvaluing money.

[/ QUOTE ]
You misinterpreted my point. Right now you're income to cost-of-living ratio is very low. You make 1, or 5K, or 10K, or 30K per month and it costs a mere fraction of that to live off. What needs to be understood is how this ratio is going to increase over time. There are many factors at work here that I'm guessing most kids in this age group are simply incapable of predicting. That's not a rip on you or anyone else - it's just the way life works.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a freshman at UIUC right now, and I'm having trouble staying in too. I may take a break my first semester of sophomore year simply because it's hard to force myself to study. If I do complete school it will likely be in philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice to someone in your situation is that (A) If you leave - there's a very high chance you won't return and (B) if you have to "force" yourself to study - you must not be getting educated in something that your passionate about.

Personally - I have trouble understanding why anyone would be going to school for something they didn't want to do in the first place.

Good Luck to you - I hope you figure it all out! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Crunch