View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: A silly question

All I can really tell here is that this is a raise or fold situation. The board is pretty coordinated, and I think it is pretty likely that one of the two bettors in front of you is betting some kind of draw (possibly a massive draw like Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something like that). Since you have a hand that is not that likely to improve, you have to figure that you are either ahead here or way behind; since calling here does nothing to improve your likelihood of winning the hand, if you are going to play I think you have to pressure any potential draws and raise.

With that said, you could very well be raising into an overpair from the SB or from a better 9 by UTG, or both (which is really terrible). If the SB or UTG caps it, you are almost certainly beat here, and might get tied to the pot with odds to try and hit a 5 outer which may not even be good... So, obviously raising has some serious problems here.

Hence, my default play here would be just to fold. Unless you have a read that says both of the bettors are really laggy, I think you are way to likely to be beaten by one or both of them here, and so raising could be totally disastrous. Calling is a totally passive play here, and so the only option left is to fold.