View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: How can randomness possibly exist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread but the lack of predetermination doesn't help with free-will. If stuff happens at random then its not am atter of will at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying that free will cannot exist if our futures have aleady been determined. I never implied that the converse is true.

[ QUOTE ]
Back OT, the existence of randomness is a metaphysical question, we have no way of telling if things happen at random or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any evidence to support this claim? It seems to me that this is purely an issue of scientific advancements. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by metaphysical, but it sounds like you are trying to turn this into a philisophical question when it is purely a scientific questin.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, there's no scientific experiment that could prove that things happen by random.

Suppose an experiment that provides evidence of randomness. Now suppose that the universe is a simulation running on a deterministic computer that uses a randomising algorithm. There is no way to distinguish the two.

chez