View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: On the Edge - IX

[ QUOTE ]

Barron, what did you think of Villain's image of you (not that you were tight, per se, but of your play and willingness to be tricky?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Amusingly enough, as I think I wrote to Diablo recently in a PM regarding our OTE 8 discussion, I am NOT a very tricky player in any way. If anything, I am TOO straightforward a vast majority of the time (playing at the limits that I do, it works).

This year, barring the time when I was unable to travel due to my gall bladder shenanigans, I averaged 30 hours per week of live play. Let's just call this 1,000 hands a week in a B&M.

So this year I've seen, taking into account my time recovering at home, 30,000+ hands.

Of those, I've only found 20 or so worth writing about for various articles. Not even 1/10th of 1%. So while those that know me from my writing might have one image of me (good, bad, indifferent, whatever) that doesn't translate to live games, barring those people that are here on 2+2 that I've run into.

This all goes by way of explaining that these types of things are ONLY possible because they are particular spots I pick for particular reasons and, more often than not, because the other 99.9%+ of the time I'm running ABC, it works fine.

For example, I subtitled this article The Mason Move, because after I read his article, I thought this was a genius play on his part. Would he have done what I did? I don't know. I'm guessing if there was a better way to run it he would've.

But it's just an example of a cool thing that I read from him that I've now had the chance to do three times this year (this time that I wrote about, another time when the guy folded on the flop, and a third when another folded on the turn). This is the farthest I've had to push it, and it's never been picked off.

VERY small sample size, but in 30,000 or whatever hands, I've only had the chance to do it 3 times.

But tricky...? I'm FAR from tricky, as I think of tricky as someone who doesn't run textbook poker (invariably, by the book SSH) 99.9%+ of the time.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com