View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Walking the Picket Line

[ QUOTE ]

That's why the union is striking. They want to do a good job, but the government keeps paying them less and less.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MTA offered 11% in raises over 3 years. The union wants 24%.

[ QUOTE ]
Same job, maybe even more work, but unable to stop working for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unable to stop working because they are averaging $50K in a city where a rookie cop makes $25K.

[ QUOTE ]
I am a big supporter of the labor movement and working people in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have worked on both side, labor and management. I used to think that union officials and management were equally unconcerned about the workers. I have changed my position, and now believe that union officials are less concerned about the workers than management in the long run.

In my experience, the primary concern of union leadership is raw power. They want to maximize head count and dues and hourly wages. Most refuse to adjust to changing markets or changing economic reality. They think that if they don't ask for and get raises and increased benefits on every contract, it is an insult to their manhood.

The recent strike of the machinists union against Northwest Airlines is a prime example. Macho posturing by labor that they weren't going to make obviously needed concessions. Now all those workers are gone, the union leaders are out of jobs, and there is no union any more.

I was never given any information when I was in a union. The leadership kept us in the dark and treated us like we were too stupid to understand anything that was going on between the union and the company.

I'm assuming that this Transit Union is doing the same thing. From what I see in the media, the company offer is more than reasonable, and most of the concessions would only affect future new workers. With the fines on the union and on the workers, they are now in a no-win situation. It's the Blazing Saddles School of Negotiation: point gun at your own head and threaten to shoot if you don't get what you want.