View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Elaborating On Accepting Scientist\'s Unbelief

Did you know; Just a comment:

Regarding Sir Isaac Newton and his investing (divesting) in the South Seas Company:

"Eventually word broke out that the management team (of the South Sea Company around 1720[I think]) had sold out completely. Investors were left holding the bag. Panic selling of the worthless shares immediately ensued. Fortunes were lost in a heartbeat. The stock market crash had started and all other stocks prices were obliterated, as well. Isaac Newton lost over 20,000 pounds of his fortune (after initially doubling a 7000 pound investment.) As a result of this crisis, he stated “I can calculate the motions of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people”.

After this disaster in Newton’s life. I think Newton’s interest in science essentially ceased. Newton could not bear to hear the mention of South Sea Company. I think he took some job with the British Government. Newton was emotionally treaked by the financial loss. I’m sure if; Newton would have had a twenty-first century knowledge of the slave trade business (that is; a business associated with slave trade); his basic religious and/or logical beliefs would have prevented him from betting 20,000 pounds in the South Sea’s Company – but then again; human greed causes some men do way-out things.