View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

Sometimes it is hard to separate 'fun, with girlfriend' poker from 'fun, make money' poker.

I usually try to appeal to a higher authority in these situations. Tell them it is the 'Raymer WSOP structure' or that 'limit cash' is the new 'NL tourney'. If it is a fun game that won't go on very often, try your best to keep it fun for you and balance it with their fun. Try to get them to play funky wild card games that you don't get to play every day. It sounds like you were reasonable in this situation so I would let it go this time and be prepared to let it go next time or not play.

Here's how it works for me: I try to convince them to play with less than their total bankroll and play limit, spread limit, or, worst case, something that resembles pot limit. "That's not how they do it on TV!" Ok, keep pushing your big stack all-in on those little pots since every one folded to you the last three times. Guess what, bud, not this time. My set is good--YouGetToSitOutAndWatchTheRestOfUsPlay. A $1 bet into a $15 pot, followed by a $0.25 raise, guess what, I drew out--YGTSOAWTROUP. Consistently call my raises with any two--YGTSOAWTROUP, then bitch to your boyfriend about how you aren't playing anymore. Show your girlfriend every time you hit your hand--YGTSOAWTROUP. Who's next? Oh, it is you, Miss "How much are the red chips again?" They are $5, just like they've been all night. You know, if you look close, you might just see the [censored] number 5 right there on the chip! You might as well just give it to me, since a flush really, really, really does beat a straight. No, I'm not kidding, it does beat a straight. Really.

As I'm collecting the cash I always tell them: I've bluffed with more money on Jack high today than all the money you guys have combined! I am the greatest poker player in all the land!

I don't know why I never get invited back.

Or, I show them that dealer's choice with a quarter limit is fun. I enjoy playing every hand and trying to calculate my outs in single draw crazy pinapple with 2's wild.