View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Another Question For Protestants

[ QUOTE ]
We do agree that the apostles taught 100% correctly. But the very fact of differing interpretations shows that it is not sufficient for us that they did so, but that we too can be able to have a 100% correct interpretation of their teaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interpretation is fundamental to communication. I ask you to interpret each time I write a response. Interpretation is necessary when I read my Bible. Interpretation is necessary when you read/hear the Roman Catholic Church's interpretation of scripture. VarlosZ makes a good point. Is your interpretation of the Catholic Church's interpretation of scripture 100% accurate? I agree with you that we need an authoritative and reliable source for God's revealed truth. What better than his very words as recorded in scripture?

Further, we are not asking the unbeliever to put their faith in the interpretive skills of a church. We ask them to put their faith in Jesus Christ who lived a perfectly righteous life, took our sin upon himself, was crucified and was resurrected. If we trust in Christ, he takes our sin and we are clothed in his righteousness in order that we might stand before God blameless. Again, salvation is not found in the interpretive skills of a church but in the man Christ Jesus.

[ QUOTE ]
does God care enough that we have such a 100% correct and authoritative interpretation to insure that we do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I reject your premise. Because the Roman Catholic Church is fallible in its interpretation of scripture does not mean that God does not care. He has cared enough to preserve his very words. He has cared enough to make the vital truths of the faith imminently accessible to all who hear his word. He has cared enough to give us his Holy Spirit as our helper to instruct us. Again, because the Catholic Church gets things wrong does not call into question God's love and mercy.