View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: The NBA Standings Look Ridiculous

[ QUOTE ]
Previous years the nba did something odd. With 2 divisons per conference, the first round of the playoffs, the 2 division winners would get the #1 and #2 seed. However in the 2nd round, it would change based on overall record. So a #3 in the first round, in the 2nd round the team with the better record would become a #2 seed (and get home court). It happened a few years ago, but now with realignment, I am not sure if they still do it. Like I said, nutty.

Blame David Stern for trying to make it the non thug, all happiness league. There's a good reason raitings have dropped and they no longer use that damn phrase "I love this game"

[/ QUOTE ]

It still works this way. As it stands right now, there may be an interesting shuffle at the end of the season in the Central. Assuming Detroit runs away with the Central, that leaves the Pacers, Cavs, and Bucks going for spots 4-5-6. In this scenario, it makes more sense for the teams to go for the sixth seed, since the 4th and 5th seeds will play each other in the first round and will be on the road in Detroit the second round.

For the sixth seed, they'd likely get a HOME first round matchup against the Nets (or maybe the Sixers), and get the Heat in the second round.

It sucks, but this has been happening in the Central ever since Charlotte came into the league (and making 6 divisions).